Monday 21 November 2011

A New culture

A New Culture – The rainbow nation
http://www.ezakwantu.com/Rainbow%20Nation.jpg [Accessed on 20/11/11]


Is this concept of a rainbow nation merely an illusion or in fact a dream that is yet to be fulfilled? How will a society fraught with the prejudice nature of its past become a truly democratic nation?  South Africa has had to undergo a huge cultural and political revolution and it’s certain to have an effect on the culture as a whole. The term ‘Rainbow Nation’ in some ways resembles a new culture, in which all cultures accept and appreciate their differences. In my opinion, this ‘Rainbow Nation’ is a whole other culture its self, a culture whereby the sub cultures of South Africa live together in harmony.


“It was through the nation state that we were being constituted as citizens of the world; but it is hard to see how this form of political identity could furnish motives as deep-seated as cultural ones.”(Eagleton 2000:61)


I think that this quote signifies the fact that a change of political law cannot suddenly change an innate cultural one. Cultural ‘laws’ can evolve into a mind-set which people find very difficult to change; it is a set of rigid views , morals and beliefs - the majority of which makes up a person’s culture. Most of the people in charge of the apartheid regime felt that there was absolutely nothing with this arrangement. They felt that it was the way things should be…


http://www.macmillandictionaryblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/rainbownation1.jpg [Accessed on 20/11/11]




The main question concerning the ‘New South Africa’ or the post-apartheid era is – How will South Africa, with such a deeply entrenched cultural & racial segregated past move forward into a liberated multi-cultural society? Is it entirely possible? I can’t help feel that previously oppressed people might seek revenge and there has been evidence of this. For example I remember getting back from school and watching the news, only to see groups of people striking over being overworked and underpaid. This was not a peaceful protest; this was a protest with underlying hate and retribution. My friend’s mother whom I was living with said that it was a glimpse of South Africa’s past. People were burning tyres in the middle of the roads, tipping rubbish bins out on to the street and fundamentally ruining their own land. At first found this appalling, how could they ruin their own streets? But the more I thought about the concept and imagined myself in the situation, the more I came to terms with it.


In my own experience of living in South Africa, I found that the farmers (Afrikaans people) found it a lot harder to comprehend my nationality; the assumption was that i was a South African ‘coloured’ (based purely on appearance) but as soon as I spoke with my English accent they became abruptly confused and couldn’t quite understand. After meeting many Afrikaans people I noticed that before I explained where I was from, I would be looked at quite inversely and it was only after many encounters that I realised what it was. Their preconception of me was so strong that I was automatically categorised and judged, I’d never had anyone look at me in that certain way before. Growing up in London helped me to accept people from various backgrounds and cultures, but in South Africa, things were a lot different.


I also had to get used to different phases that would be referred to as ‘racist comments’ anywhere else in the world, but in South Africa, they were in fact socially accepted. For example ‘’the blacks’’ or ‘’the whites’’ and even the word ‘’collored’’ being referred at to collored myself I found degrading. However surprisingly and over time I came to terms with the expression and began to refer to myself as coloured and even started used the phrase myself!


"Human relations cannot be peaceful, satisfactory, and happy until placed on the basis of mutual self-respect. The proper name for people, has thus become, in this period of crucial change and rapid reformation on a world scale, a vital factor in determining basic attitudes involving how, and even whether, people will continue to live together on this shrinking planet." - Richard B. Moore




Politics and culture are continuously changing in the expanding world we live in, but the linguistics hasn’t shifted to accommodate these changes. The post-apartheid South African state is thought-provoking; here we have a country bursting with potential if their pursuit for building a new nation becomes a reality. South Africa has one of the most stunning geographical landscapes followed by spectacular views and an all year round desirable climate. South African culture at its best is known for their hospitality and friendliness- contrary to their past. I think that over time people are beginning to view South Africa as a safe and pleasant place to visit. Well known events that take place such as the FIFA World Cup also contribute to the global perspective of South Africa. In my later blogs I will begin to explain how the events and media industry can help revolutionise the widespread view of a country.



No comments:

Post a Comment